Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Found on World Recipes; posting for ZWT 7-Central America (Panama).
Make and share this Tamal De Olla-Panama recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb par-cooked polenta
- 1 small chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon annatto seeds or 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 15 green olives
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 hot chili pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper and oregano for at least 1 hour. Heat the oil over medium low heat in a big pan and add the annato seeds if using them. Add onion, peppers and garlic. Turn the heat and add the chicken to brown whilst adding the wine and vinegar little by little.
- Add the tomato sauce puree, turn the heat down and let it simmer for about 1.5 hours with the hot chili pepper.Check the seasoning adding salt and pepper if needed and the capers and olives for the last 10 minutes.Take the chicken out, debone and skin it and put the meat back into the pan. Make the polenta according to package instructions, but using ¾ water and 1/4 chicken sauce . Put the tamal in a baking dish and bake for a further 20 minutes at gas mark 375º F.
Five stars, more if I could! I wondered about all that vinegar for my hubby's taste, (I love vinegar, he doesn't), but oh wow, this recipe is a keeper. We both loved it. I wasn't sure exactly what to do about the polenta, so I ended up frying it in patties and pouring the rest over it before baking. I love recipes where the chicken is cooked with the skin on, then removed. It saves on some of the fat, but still gives all the chicken flavor. This was just delicious! I will make this again. ZWT 7 - Shady Ladies
Today, Feb. 2, 2013 is the first time I try to make tamal de olla Paname?o...this recipe made it easy for me to follow...At first I thought it was too hard to make but once I got it going it started to become easier... We are having a get together with a group of friends from diverse ethnicities and each one of us have to bring tamales from their country and I was worried about until I found this great and easy recipe...Also since it's call tamal de "olla" o "caldero", I decided to present my dish in an "olla" just to be a little original %u263A. I will give 10 stars for this recipe...Thanks!