Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
The Thais, like other people who live in hot climates, are quick to appreciate the refreshing qualities of the cucumber. This simple salad is very popular and very rarely varied. Scouring the cucumbers decoratively, as the Thais would do, makes this dish visually alluring. This recipe comes from a great little book called 'The Best of Thailand'.
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, halved, & seeded
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small fresh red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh green chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Cut cucumber halves into 2-inch long sections, then cut each section into 1/4-inch thick strips or thick matchsticks.
- Place cucumbers in a bowl.
- Add the lime juice, sugar, and Nam Pla and toss gently until well combined.
- Add onion, chilies and tomatoes and toss gently until well combined.
- Garnish with whole chilies and coriander sprigs.
This tasted OK, the fish sauce was rather overpowering in this, though, so if you're not a fan, perhaps give it a miss.