Raquel Grinnell's Note:
Known in certain circles as 'crack' cookies, as they are so addictive! Tam highly recommends the brands suggested below to get the exact result. Tam advises looking for the Brer Rabbit brand molasses at your local Walmart Superstore. Slightly modified from original recipe for clarity.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup shortening (recommended -- Butter Flavored Crisco)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup molasses (recommended -- Brer Rabbit Full Flavor Molasses)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus 1 â 2 tbsp depending if the dough is too sticky after final mixture)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup turbinado sugar (raw sugar, can substitute white sugar)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F
- 2WIth a hand-held mixer, blend first four ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until creamy, 1-2 minutes.
- 3In another mixing bowl, sift together the remaining ingredients except turbinado sugar. Add to the wet mixture, blending slowly until just incorporated.
- 4The dough should be very slightly sticky, but not so sticky that if you touch it sticks your finger. You should be able to roll it in your hands without it sticking to your palms. If it is too sticky, add that 1 – 2 tablespoons extra flour and mix again.
- 5Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls, then roll balls in turbinado sugarto coat. Bake on a parchment or foil covered cookie sheet for 9-11 minutes.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tam Hodge's Famous Tamolasses Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.8
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 160.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: