Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Known in certain circles as 'crack' cookies, as they are so addictive! Tam highly recommends the brands suggested below to get the exact result. Tam advises looking for the Brer Rabbit brand molasses at your local Walmart Superstore. Slightly modified from original recipe for clarity.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (recommended -- Butter Flavored Crisco)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup molasses (recommended -- Brer Rabbit Full Flavor Molasses)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (plus 1 â 2 tbsp depending if the dough is too sticky after final mixture)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup turbinado sugar (raw sugar, can substitute white sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- WIth a hand-held mixer, blend first four ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until creamy, 1-2 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, sift together the remaining ingredients except turbinado sugar. Add to the wet mixture, blending slowly until just incorporated.
- The dough should be very slightly sticky, but not so sticky that if you touch it sticks your finger. You should be able to roll it in your hands without it sticking to your palms. If it is too sticky, add that 1 – 2 tablespoons extra flour and mix again.
- Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls, then roll balls in turbinado sugarto coat. Bake on a parchment or foil covered cookie sheet for 9-11 minutes.