Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Posted for ZWT II. A different version of sopa seca, adapted from Mexican Cooking Made Easy.
Make and share this Tallarines Y Espinacas (Mexican Noodles and Spinach) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package fideos (original recipe called for 10 fideo coils ( see note below)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped (you may substitute frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained)
- NOTE: Fideo is usually found in the Mexican or ethnic section of the grocery store. A common package size is 12 oz. If I can't find the small coil type, I just use 1 package of the large coil type. You can also substitute any other type of long thin or small shaped pasta you prefer.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Fry fideos, turning periodically, until golden brown. Add the onions and garlic and cook for two more minutes, stirring often.
- Add beef broth, water, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add spinach. Mix thoroughly, making sure that fideo coils have fully separated. Continue cooking until almost all of the liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Serve hot.