Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The ultimate winter party chili. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients; the flavors melt into one rich pot of hearty chili.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 spicy sausage, chopped (chorizo, Italian, any will do)
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons dried chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon asian hot sauce (optional)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate (do not use chips)
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes, with added puree
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottleof chocolate stout beer (any dark beer will do)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- Heat oil in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute onions and garlic until onions are soft and translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add ground beef, ground pork, and sausage.
- Saute, while breaking up the meats, for about 5 minutes.
- Drain fat.
- Add cumin, chipotle powder, crushed red pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, and cinnamon.
- Stir 2 minutes.
- Add Asian hot sauce (if using), semi-sweet chocolate, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, beer, and tomato paste.
- Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- (Can use a crockpot) Chili can be prepared 2 days ahead (it actually tastes better when prepared at least one day in advance).
- Add black beans and simmer 5 minutes before serving.