1/1 Photo of Take-Out Lentil Soup With Garlic and Cumin
Cuisines all over the world have some version of this warming, garlicky soup. It's the scent of cumin that makes this one Middle-Eastern at the heart. The soup is so fast and easy to make, and the ingredients are ones you are likely to already have in your pantry, so you'll find it the perfect solution to the eternal question: "What's for dinner?". From the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 6 minutes, until the onions become translucent. Add the cumin and continue to cook for another minute.
- 2Add the lentils, stock, salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the lentils have broken down. Add water if the soup needs thinning.
- 3Stir in the lemon juice, taste, and reseason if necessary.
- 4Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with olive oil to serve.
- 5Tip: There are many varieties of lentils: red, green, yellow, and black. Although green is the easiest to find, any variety works well in this soup.
- 6Make ahead: This soup can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Take-Out Lentil Soup With Garlic and Cumin
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 850.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.5 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 22.9 g