Cuisines all over the world have some version of this warming, garlicky soup. It's the scent of cumin that makes this one Middle-Eastern at the heart. The soup is so fast and easy to make, and the ingredients are ones you are likely to already have in your pantry, so you'll find it the perfect solution to the eternal question: "What's for dinner?". From the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 6 minutes, until the onions become translucent. Add the cumin and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the lentils, stock, salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the lentils have broken down. Add water if the soup needs thinning.
- Stir in the lemon juice, taste, and reseason if necessary.
- Ladle into soup bowls and drizzle with olive oil to serve.
- Tip: There are many varieties of lentils: red, green, yellow, and black. Although green is the easiest to find, any variety works well in this soup.
- Make ahead: This soup can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator.
This is a wonderful soup! I made it as written, except that I doubled both the garlic and the cumin as they are some of my favorite flavors. This was very easy, and very filling- perfect for a cold, wet day. I'll definitely make again.
Oops--I forgot to add the lemon first time around, but very much enjoyed the warm flavor without it. Will try reheated soup with lemon to see how the taste changes. Based on my mistake, loved everything about this soup--easy, hearty, attractive and healthy. With or without lemon, this soup is a keeper--thanks TxGriffLover!
After making this soup for the first time, it became a weekly dinner. It's so delicious and so easy! I make it with veggie broth for a nutritious vegetarian meal, but it also tastes great with a can of chicken thrown in. I chop up some celery and a carrot to put in with the lentils, too. Even my eight-year-old niece, who turns up her nose at almost anything cheese-less, gets excited when I make this soup.