Recipe by VeggieHippie
A great vegetarian quick lunch or appetizar, healthy, and can be made vegan with soy cheese.
- cooking spray
- 8 ounces boca vegetarian ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup white onion
- prepared vegetarian gravy (i.e. Loma Limda) or vegetable broth, to taste
- 8 slices white cheese (I prefer swiss or Provolone)
- 2 large pita breads, halved shaping 4 pockets
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook "meat," stirring occasoinally, for 5 minutes.
- Add onions and cook til they are translucent.
- Add vegetarian gravy or vegetable broth to taste to add moisture and flavor.
- Cut pitas in half and line a slice of cheese on either side of each pocket (so each pocket contains two slices.).
- Fill pockets with 1/4 each of the ground round.
- Return pita halves to skillet and cook on low heat, just long enough to slightly toast the bread and melt the cheese.
- Serve as is or with a dipping sauce.