Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Real Takakau has no rising agent (i.e. Baking Powder) just flour and water. This recipe is quite large in the quantity of flour used. It can be prepared and baked 35 minutes before a main meal is served. Or serve hot or cold with butter, jam and a cup of tea.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (200F)
- Sift flour and Baking Powder into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in milk, combine mixture together.
- Turn out onto a floured bench and knead gently with floured hands.
- Roll to a flat round shape
- Ideally lightly flour a round pizza tray and knead dough into the tray and to the inside of the edges.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot and/or allow to cool. Leftovers when cooled can be covered with a damp tea-towel and/or stored in an airtight container.
That is exactly how we had it back home
Tough to eat, dry and fluory. Really unpalatable.