Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008, as seen on Guy's Big Bite. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
Top Review by Pinay0618
We thoroughly enjoyed this! I used a pre-made garam masala blend purchased at Penzey's and added some crushed red pepper because we like the heat. This is a very rich dish - the next time we make it we'll sub half and half for the heavy cream to cut back a little on the fat and calories. Served over rice, with naan bread and a cucumber salad - delicious!
For the Chicken
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 118.29 ml minced garlic
- 59.14 ml minced ginger
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 9.85 ml garam masala, recipe follows
- 29.58 ml pomegranate juice
- 907.18 g skinless bone-in chicken thighs
For the Butter Sauce
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml diced red onion
- 4.92 ml minced ginger
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2.46 ml garam masala, recipe follows
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml butter
- 9.85 ml salt
- 9.85 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml cumin seeds
- 29.58 ml coriander seeds
- 9.85 ml black peppercorns
- 2 whole cardamom seeds, crushed
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Garam Masala:
- In a small saute pan, over medium-high heat, lightly toast spices beginning with cumin and coriander. Toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppercorns and cardamom and continue to toast another minute. Add cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf and toast another minute. In a spice grinder, grind to a fine powder. Keep spice blend stored in a tightly seared container for up to 4 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large saute pan, over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and ginger and slowly cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, turmeric, Garam Masala and pomegranate juice. Let cool slightly.
- Rub chicken well with mixture and bake in a shallow baking pan for 25 minutes. Chicken will be three-quarters of the way cooked. When chicken is cool to the touch, remove bones and shred meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside
- Meanwhile to make Butter Sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute onions, ginger and garlic until light brown, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue sauteing until tomatoes begin to fall apart, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and continue to cook 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return puree back to pan and add cream and butter. Bring to a simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and saute for 6 minutes more until chicken is cooked through. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with basmati rice, if desired.