Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008, as seen on Guy's Big Bite. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 2 lbs skinless bone-in chicken thighs
For the Butter Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala, recipe follows
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 whole cardamom seeds, crushed
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Garam Masala:
- In a small saute pan, over medium-high heat, lightly toast spices beginning with cumin and coriander. Toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppercorns and cardamom and continue to toast another minute. Add cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf and toast another minute. In a spice grinder, grind to a fine powder. Keep spice blend stored in a tightly seared container for up to 4 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large saute pan, over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and ginger and slowly cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, turmeric, Garam Masala and pomegranate juice. Let cool slightly.
- Rub chicken well with mixture and bake in a shallow baking pan for 25 minutes. Chicken will be three-quarters of the way cooked. When chicken is cool to the touch, remove bones and shred meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside
- Meanwhile to make Butter Sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute onions, ginger and garlic until light brown, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue sauteing until tomatoes begin to fall apart, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and continue to cook 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return puree back to pan and add cream and butter. Bring to a simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and saute for 6 minutes more until chicken is cooked through. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with basmati rice, if desired.
We thoroughly enjoyed this! I used a pre-made garam masala blend purchased at Penzey's and added some crushed red pepper because we like the heat. This is a very rich dish - the next time we make it we'll sub half and half for the heavy cream to cut back a little on the fat and calories. Served over rice, with naan bread and a cucumber salad - delicious!
This recipe had a lot of potential and I was able to pick out many of the flavors, however even though the flavors were all there they were all very understated and the dish was almost bland. That along with the time it took to prepare(I hate de-boneing!) and the cost of making it ( the spices I didn't have on hand and the 1/2 cup garlic and the 1/4 c ginger!) I probably won't make it again. Made for ZWT8
The name of this dish is culturally suspect; that said, the product was delightful and gone in short order. It's fairly complex; the instructions are good but not exactly in order; read thoroughly several hours in advance so that you can plan time for the various components. We were surprised by the mild flavor, given the amount of spice that went into it. We served it with Recipe#482283, but thought some kind of naan or flatbread would have been a good addition. Made and enjoyed for ZWT8.