Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008, as seen on Guy's Big Bite. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 2 lbs skinless bone-in chicken thighs
For the Butter Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala, recipe follows
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 whole cardamom seeds, crushed
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Garam Masala:
- In a small saute pan, over medium-high heat, lightly toast spices beginning with cumin and coriander. Toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppercorns and cardamom and continue to toast another minute. Add cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf and toast another minute. In a spice grinder, grind to a fine powder. Keep spice blend stored in a tightly seared container for up to 4 weeks.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large saute pan, over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and ginger and slowly cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, turmeric, Garam Masala and pomegranate juice. Let cool slightly.
- Rub chicken well with mixture and bake in a shallow baking pan for 25 minutes. Chicken will be three-quarters of the way cooked. When chicken is cool to the touch, remove bones and shred meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside
- Meanwhile to make Butter Sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute onions, ginger and garlic until light brown, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue sauteing until tomatoes begin to fall apart, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and continue to cook 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return puree back to pan and add cream and butter. Bring to a simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and saute for 6 minutes more until chicken is cooked through. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with basmati rice, if desired.