1/2 Photos of Taj Maholla! Chicken
1 hr 30 mins
Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008, as seen on Guy's Big Bite. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 2 lbs skinless bone-in chicken thighs
For the Butter Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1Garam Masala:
- 2In a small saute pan, over medium-high heat, lightly toast spices beginning with cumin and coriander. Toast until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add peppercorns and cardamom and continue to toast another minute. Add cinnamon, cloves, and bay leaf and toast another minute. In a spice grinder, grind to a fine powder. Keep spice blend stored in a tightly seared container for up to 4 weeks.
- 3Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 4In large saute pan, over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and ginger and slowly cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, turmeric, Garam Masala and pomegranate juice. Let cool slightly.
- 5Rub chicken well with mixture and bake in a shallow baking pan for 25 minutes. Chicken will be three-quarters of the way cooked. When chicken is cool to the touch, remove bones and shred meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside
- 6Meanwhile to make Butter Sauce:
- 7In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute onions, ginger and garlic until light brown, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and continue sauteing until tomatoes begin to fall apart, about 5 minutes.
- 8Add spices and continue to cook 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- 9Return puree back to pan and add cream and butter. Bring to a simmer and reduce for 5 minutes.
- 10Add shredded chicken and saute for 6 minutes more until chicken is cooked through. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- 11Serve with basmati rice, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taj Maholla! Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.6
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 123.5 mg
- Sodium 720.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: