Chef #744341's Note:
What is Taiyaki? Taiyaki is a Japanese pancake-like cake traditionally filled with sweet red bean paste (although it can be filled with other things like custard, chocolate etc), molded into the shape of a fish (usually a carp) and fried to a golden perfection. Taiyaki is often sold in smaller towns of Japan in taiyaki shops or stands.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cooking time is actually UNKNOWN and will likely vary with stoves!
- 2Stir flour, water, salt, and sugar thoroughly. Add baking soda.
- 3Heat the Taiyaki-ki (fish mold) on both sides briefly so it is warm, not in intense heat.
- 4Spread the oil in the Taiyaki-ki and pour the mixed ingredients into the Taiyaki-ki filling it half way.
- 5Put Azuki beans over the mixed ingredients in the Taiyaki-ki.
- 6Pour additional mixed ingredients on Azuki filling the Taiyaki-ki.
- 7Close the Taiyaki-ki and heat both sides turning the Taiyaki-ki over at intervals.
- 8Let it cool and enjoy the Taiyaki.
- 9Additionally, a Taiyaki-ki, or fish mold, is needed to make Taiyaki. You can purchase one through yahoo stores.
Nutritional Facts for Taiyaki
Serving Size: 1 (681 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1475.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2980.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 307.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 51.0 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 66.9 g