Prep 1 min
Cook 1 min
What is Taiyaki? Taiyaki is a Japanese pancake-like cake traditionally filled with sweet red bean paste (although it can be filled with other things like custard, chocolate etc), molded into the shape of a fish (usually a carp) and fried to a golden perfection. Taiyaki is often sold in smaller towns of Japan in taiyaki shops or stands.
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces azuki beans, mashed and mixed with enough sugar to form a thick sweet paste
- vegetable oil
- Cooking time is actually UNKNOWN and will likely vary with stoves!
- Stir flour, water, salt, and sugar thoroughly. Add baking soda.
- Heat the Taiyaki-ki (fish mold) on both sides briefly so it is warm, not in intense heat.
- Spread the oil in the Taiyaki-ki and pour the mixed ingredients into the Taiyaki-ki filling it half way.
- Put Azuki beans over the mixed ingredients in the Taiyaki-ki.
- Pour additional mixed ingredients on Azuki filling the Taiyaki-ki.
- Close the Taiyaki-ki and heat both sides turning the Taiyaki-ki over at intervals.
- Let it cool and enjoy the Taiyaki.
- Additionally, a Taiyaki-ki, or fish mold, is needed to make Taiyaki. You can purchase one through yahoo stores.