Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very traditional Taiwanese dish that I got from a friend. She's Taiwanese and makes this for her family all the time. I had to beg her for the recipe because I love it so much!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (3 ounce) packagefried shallots (can be found at any Oriental grocery store)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (optional)
- steamed rice
- Brown pork in skillet until cooked; drain off oil and set aside.
- Add vegetable oil in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Saute garlic for 1 minute.
- Add pork and shallots, stir a few times.
- Add water and the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Uncover and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Kick ass! Just like my mom used to make.