1/1 Photo of Taiwanese Spaghetti
I recently started dabbling in Taiwanese cuisine and came across this recipe that is commonly made in Taiwan, comparable to the American spaghetti and meatballs made for children here in the States. It's considered a comfort food, served on either rice or Japanese somen noodles. It has a sweet taste to it so children like it, and you can make it with or without tofu. It is also traditionally served with sliced cucumber, but I have found that it doesn't make that much of a different to the food. It is usually made with ground pork, but I avoid pork so I have only had it using turkey. I imagine it probably tastes just as good with ground beef as well. I will post my somen noodle sauce recipe soon, too - it tastes much better than plain somen noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup rice wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 lbs ground turkey or 2 lbs pork
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small dried shrimp (optional)
- 8 ounces soft tofu (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced cucumber (optional)
- 1Soak the dried shiitake mushroom until soft and cut into bits.
- 2Add olive oil to skillet over medium heat and sautee the garlic
- 3Once garlic is slightly browned, add the mushroom and chopped shallots Add the small dried shrimp (you can purchase at any Asian market).
- 4After browning all the ingredients, add the ground turkey.
- 5Add soy sauce, sugar, cooking wine, and 5 spice powder.
- 6Cover and cook until sauce thickens, allowing it to boil first then on low heat.
- 7NOTE: Not covering the meat will cause for your "sauce" to evaporate.
- 8Garnish with cilantro and serve with sliced cucumber on the side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taiwanese Spaghetti
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.7
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 156.6 mg
- Sodium 889.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 46.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried shiitake mushrooms