Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I have craved for these pork buns for two years. It is a type of street food that you can find almost everywhere in Taiwan. Fortunately, I was able to find the ingredients here in the US. Making pork buns is complicated and time consuming. But once they come out from a bamboo steamer, I know it's worth it!!
- pork bun, for filling
- 453.59 g ground pork
- 226.79 g green onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml ginger, minced
- 88.74 ml soy sauce
- 59.16 ml oyster sauce (or to taste)
- 88.74 ml sesame seed oil
- 44.37 ml chinese rice wine (cooking michiu)
- 9.85 ml white pepper powder
- pork bun, for dough
- 1064.65 ml all-purpose flour
- 11.09 ml fast rising yeast
- 59.16 ml white sugar
- 0.59 ml salt
- 236.59 ml luke warm water
- 59.16 ml canola oil
- Combine all filling ingredients well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, white sugar and salt. Stir in water and form a dough. Add some more warm water if needed. Let set for 10 minutes. Add canola oil and knead until smooth, about 8-10minutes. While kneading, add some more water or flour if needed. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about an hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 15 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into a thick-centered and thin-edged circle, about 4 inches. Place about 1/2 cup filling in the center of dough. Lift edges of dough and pinch small portion around the filling until filling is sealed inside. Repeat same process for the rest of 14 buns.
- Line bamboo steamer with non-stick baking sheet. Place buns in it and cover. Let rise in a warm place until dough doesn't bounce back when slightly press with a finger, about 40 minutes. Leave about 1 inch between each bun to rise. If you use a stainless steamer, wrap steamer lid tight with a big cloth to prevent water dripping from the lid.
- Bring water to boil over medium-high heat and steam buns for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and open a small gap. Please do not uncover immediately otherwise buns would shrink. Wait for 10 minutes and then enjoy!