Recipe by melting pot
Something totally different...it's very sticky, very interesting, and has a nice combination of flavours. If you like the stickyness of tapioca, then this is great.
- 500 g tapioca flour
- 1 (200 -300 g) sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup wheat flour
- 2 chicken breasts, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 stalks shallots, finely chopped
- 1 (200 g) can bamboo shoots, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in wok. Stir-fry the chicken pieces until cooked.
- Add the bamboo shoots and stir-fry for 3-4 minute.
- Add the shallots and soy sauce and stir-fry for another 1-2 min, or until fragrant. Remove and set aside.
- Place the sweet potato in a dish and cover with cling wrap. Microwave for approximately 10 min on med-high, or until soft and cooked through. Allow to cool so that it's still soft but won't burn your fingers. Peel the skin off.
- Tip the flour out onto the workbench. Knead the flour and the sweet potato until it's not sticking to your hands anymore, is a light orange and has texture like playdough.
- Coat your hands in wheat flour. Take a small handful of the dough and flatten into an oval the thickness of 1/4 inch.
- Place a teaspoon of filling into the centre and close dough around filling, pressing edges together to seal if necessary. Shape into a ball.
- Repeat until there is no more dough/filling left.
- Line a steamer with baking paper and dust lightly with wheat flour.
- Place the balls in, about 1 inch apart to allow for spreading.
- Steam for 15-20 minute.
- Serve immediately or wrap individually in cling wrap, as they dry out easily and then become very chewy.