Tender chicken dish. Serve with rice and if you like top with roasted coconut flakes. Found online and posted for ZWT7.
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon barbecue sauce (if possible an asiatic one)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 4 chicken drumsticks (we used chicken breast, skinless and de boned)
- 2 yellow plantains (peeled and cut into 2 cm thick slices)
- 1 sweet potato (peel and sliced)
- 1 banana leaf, Large, fresh (cut into 4 squares)
- In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, barbeque sauce (I used a Chinese one), ginger and coconut milk. Check the taste of the marinade adding more soy sauce, barbecue sauce or ginger to your taste.
- Place the chicken, plantain and sweet potato in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Gently warm the banana leaf over a fire until the leaf is pliable (do not burn it), just 3 minutes. (Istead of banana leaf and baking sheet, you can use a baking mold with lid, it's not the same but it's better then nothing).
- Cut the leaf into four large squares from 30 x 30 cm.
- Place the chicken onto the banana leaf square and evenly divide the vegetables on top.
- Pour any remaining marinade and fold the leaves around the chicken.
- Tie the package and place them in a baking sheet (lined with baking paper).
- Bake in a previously pre-heated oven at 180°C until the chicken is tender and completely done (around 1 hour).
- Check the package occasionally to make sure they do not burn.