1/5 Photos of Taisi Moa (Samoan Chicken Baked in Banana Leaves)
1 hr 30 mins
Tender chicken dish. Serve with rice and if you like top with roasted coconut flakes. Found online and posted for ZWT7.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon barbecue sauce (if possible an asiatic one)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 4 chicken drumsticks (we used chicken breast, skinless and de boned)
- 2 yellow plantains (peeled and cut into 2 cm thick slices)
- 1 sweet potato (peel and sliced)
- 1 banana leaf, Large, fresh (cut into 4 squares)
- 1In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, barbeque sauce (I used a Chinese one), ginger and coconut milk. Check the taste of the marinade adding more soy sauce, barbecue sauce or ginger to your taste.
- 2Place the chicken, plantain and sweet potato in a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- 3Gently warm the banana leaf over a fire until the leaf is pliable (do not burn it), just 3 minutes. (Istead of banana leaf and baking sheet, you can use a baking mold with lid, it's not the same but it's better then nothing).
- 4Cut the leaf into four large squares from 30 x 30 cm.
- 5Place the chicken onto the banana leaf square and evenly divide the vegetables on top.
- 6Pour any remaining marinade and fold the leaves around the chicken.
- 7Tie the package and place them in a baking sheet (lined with baking paper).
- 8Bake in a previously pre-heated oven at 180°C until the chicken is tender and completely done (around 1 hour).
- 9Check the package occasionally to make sure they do not burn.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taisi Moa (Samoan Chicken Baked in Banana Leaves)
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.4
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 59.1 mg
- Sodium 197.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 43.7 g
- Protein 16.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: