Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy to make up and take to the football tailgate party. Add cold beer and Maui chips and you may miss the kickoff. Enjoy!
- 1 loaf unsliced round bread (about 9" diameter)
- 1 cup bottled sour cream and bacon salad dressing
- 1⁄3 lb sliced swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 lb sliced cooked roast beef
- 1⁄2 lb sliced cooked turkey
- 1 large tomatoes, sliced
- Cut bread in half horizontally; hollow out center of each half, leaving 1/4 inch shell.
- Spread 1/3 cup of the sour cream and bacon dressing into each shell.
- Line bottom of each shell with lettuce.
- Into the bottom of each shell layer cheese, roast beef, remaining dressing, turkey and then tomato.
- Top with lettuce.
- Replace top shell.
- To serve, cut into wedges.
I SO wanted to love this - maybe our expectations were too high after reading all the rave reviews. I made homemade bread, used Creamy Bacon Salad Dressing instead of the bottled salad dressing and had a gorgeous fresh out of the garden tomato. I made the salad dressing 4 hours prior to making the sandwich - maybe that wasn't enough time to allow the flavors to meld. Or perhaps my cold cuts were lacking. I'm not sure but was disappointed in the results. I REALLY like the ingredients so I'm not giving up. Next time I'll try adding a layer of avacado and bacon. Now THAT sounds like a winner! Thanks for posting.
A bit messy to eat, but quite tasty. :) I used a loaf of homemade sourdough that was a little smaller, so I scaled the ingredients down a tad, but stuffed all I could fit into the shell. Rather than cutting the loaf in half, filling both halves, then trying to turn the filled top half over without making a mess, I just cut the top of the loaf off and stuffed the bottom, then replaced the top. I layered the ingredients in the order directed, then layered them again in reverse so they would be ordered the same they would be if I had filled the two halves (if that makes sense :) ). I used red leaf lettuce and just added crumbled bacon to ranch-style dressing. Great sandwich--thanks for posting!
This is a winner! I double up the lettuce on the bottom but topped off each layer with strips of bacon instead of lettuce. I always get rave reviews from friends and relatives. Thanks Martini Guy.