1/1 Photo of Tailgate Chili With Black and Red Beans
1 hr 15 mins
Anne Sainz's Note:
This is adapted from a recipe on drfuhrman.com. I made some changes to better fit our taste preferences. This chili recipe adds interest by using two types of beans along with frozen corn. It makes a big batch and freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 4 teaspoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1Chop plum tomatoes. I like to use a blender or food processor but be careful not to over process.
- 2Drain and rinse beans and mix with corn. Set aside.
- 3Chop onions, garlic and green peppers. Set aside.
- 4Coat large covered non-stick frying pan or Dutch oven (at least 5 quarts) with oil. Add onions, garlic and peppers. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, adding small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking. (About 10 min).
- 5Stir in tomatoes, beans, corn, chili powder, cumin and cilantro. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tailgate Chili With Black and Red Beans
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 350.1
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 48.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 18.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium black beans