Recipe by 3KillerBs
No, there aren't that many of them, though it is a big batch for a party-sized pit crew. With the Rolex 24, the Superbowl, and the Daytona 500 falling in the contest period we need some tailgating food! Fresh ginger and hot sauce rev it up while the corriander seed gives it that extra tenth of speed every team wants to find. But the kitchen crew chief won't be penalized for illegal flavor because the spicy-sweet, orange-teriyaki taste will fit the template perfectly.
Top Review by Susie D
I reduced to make a much smaller amount staying with half ground beef and half ground turkey. The meatballs went together easily and held together well. I browned them in a electric skillet and then covered with the sauce and reduced the heat to simmer slowly. They cooked much quicker than in a crockpot. I would have like more flavor in the sauce, maybe some heat from red pepper flakes? Thank you for your entry and good luck in the contest!
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, divided
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (I prefer Frank's)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare sauce juice the oranges (about 1 cup).
- Prepare the 1/2 teaspoon orange zest to divide 1/4 teaspoon each between sauce and meatballs.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a microwavable bowl.
- Heat to boiling.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Taste. Add additional hot sauce or brown sugar if desired.
- Pour a small amount of sauce into the bottom of a 6 quart crockpot, just enough to cover the whole surface.
- For meatballs mix the grated ginger and 1/4 teaspoon of the orange zest into the liquids to disperse them so that no one gets an unpleasantly concentrated suprise.
- Mix all the ingredients together very well.
- Form small meatballs and pack them firmly.
- Brown the meatballs in skillet or oven.
- Pile meatballs into the crockpot.
- Cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Cook on low for about 4 hours.
- Stir every hour to make sure that all meatballs absorb the sauce equally.
- Note:Prep time does not include time to brown meatballs because that will depend on the method chosen.