Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs 15 mins
Truly delicious ethnic veal dish from Estonia. usually served on holidays, special occassions, & specal anniversaries. Tasty & filling!
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup white breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- 5 lbs boned shoulder veal
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- Stuffing: Combine ground meats in a large mixing bowl then add bread crumbs, onions, water, eggs, 1 tb salt& 1 ts pepper.
- Mix with your hands& a large spoon until all ingredients are very well combined then you must vigorously knead this mixture for 3-5 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 deg-F.
- Spread the veal skin-side down flat on a table then using a small, sharp knife, make small cuts in the thickest areas of the meat to make it lie even flatter.
- Cover the veal& with the side of a cleaver or meat mallet, pound meat to a fairly uniform thickness.
- Remove cover then sprinkle veal liberally with salt& pepper.
- Spread 1/2 the stuffing on the veal, leaving a 2" border of veal exposed all around the sides.
- Lay hard-boiled eggs in a row down the length of stuffing& spread remaining stuffing in a layer over them.
- Bring one long side of the veal over the filling to the middle& tuck-in the two ends.
- Bring the other side over the filling to enclose it very well.
- With kitchen cord, tie rolled veal crosswise at 2" intervals, then with more cord tie it lengthwise.
- Place the rolled veal seam-side down in a shallow roasting pan large enough to hold it.
- Pour in 1 1/2 c chicken stock& roast for 2 hrs.
- basting veal from time-to-time with the juices in pan.
- When meat is golden brown carefully transfer it to a serving platter then remove& discard cords.
- Bring juices remaining in pan to a boil over high-heat.
- If most of liquid has cooked away add remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth to pan.
- Scrape into it any bits that may be sticking to bottom& sides of pan.
- Remove from heat then stir 1/2 cup sour cream into sauce 1 tb at a time.
- Taste for seasoning& pour into a gravy-boat.
- Slice veal roll crosswise into 1" rounds& arrange slightly over-lapped along center of a large pre-heated platter.
- Moisten them with a few tb sauce& serve remaining sauce separately.
- Usually rolled shoulder of veal is served with crisp fried potato patties.