Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A sweet bread adorned with orange, dried mango and pineapple and spiked with crystalized ginger. A favorite in Tahiti, but served throughout the Pacific.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 egg whites (whipped until foamy and almost stiff)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crystallized ginger
- 1 orange (zest and juiced)
- 1⁄2 cup dried mango (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup dried pineapple (diced)
- Preheat oven to 350, grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt,sugar, oil, juice of orange,vanilla and ginger.
- Stir in flour,soda,baking powder,and salt, do not over mix, stir in dried mango and pineapple pieces and orange zest; gently fold in whipped egg whites.
- Pour into a prepared loaf pan, bake about 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes.
Delicious, delicious, delicious. I can't recommend this, highly enough. Wow was this good. Excellent, textures and the flavor was outstanding. Quick and easy to make. I certainly understand why it is a favourite of the Pacific. It sure is a treasure. We enjoyed it at room temperature with a little butter and also toasted, it was perfection, served both ways. Light, tender, moist, great crumb, with little flecks of orange and ginger, studded with pineapple and sweet mango. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe BakinBaby. Made for ZWT7 Express Round - Antartica - Wish you were here! Challenge, for Witchin Kitchen.