Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
a South Pacific Favorite from Epicurious Magazine
- 1 lb fresh ahi (fresh tuna will suffice)
- 1⁄2 quart lightly salt water (I like sea)
- salt, for this
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (must be fresh)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- Cut the fish across the grain into small
- bite size pieces.
- Soak in salt water for about half hour.
- Drain well.
- Add lime juice and salt to fish and knead well.
- Let it sit about 5 minutes until fish texture changes to white.
- Add rest of ingredients and mix well; marinate at least an hour before eating.
(writing from Las Vegas) .... I liked this recipe especially when I used RealSalt (that's the stuff from Utah). I didn't have fresh ahi so I used red snapper as a substitute. What a great flavor.