Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great breakfast cake, with a very spicy flavour. Nutritious too. Please note that there are no eggs or fat (other than the oil in the tahini) in this cake, which makes it denser than normal. If you are looking for a light cake, this recipe is not for you. Very satisfying with a cup of coffee or tea.
- 1 cup tahini (make sure you combine it because sometimes it separates and the oil floats to the top)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 orange, grated, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (broken into small pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup sultana raisin
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180C).
- If this cake is to be Lenten, then grease a loaf pan with olive oil, otherwise, use butter, and dust pan with flour.
- Prepare all dry ingredients in a bowl to have on hand.
- Beat tahini, sugar and orange rind until fluffy and creamy (about 8 minutes on high).
- Gradually add orange juice alternately with dry ingredients.
- Stir in walnuts and sultana raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes (until tester comes out clean).
Delicious! If you like halva you will like this cake. Full nutty flavor. I used honey instead of sugar. I also generally do not like spiced cakes so I cut the spices down a bit but honestly i think I should have not done it - as one of previous reviewers said - the tahini taste is strong and it takes a lot of spice for the taste to come through.
Very interesting and tasty! I ended up baking it for almost 1 hour, covering the pan with foil after 40 minutes. I can only recommend to line the bottom of the loaf pan with greased foil or parchment paper, or to use a silicone pan, because the cake stuff to the bottom and was a bit difficult to remove. Otherwise, this is delicious! The taste is very reminiscent of halvah, but the orange and spices add many more layers of flavor.
This is an excellent tahinopita Ev! I pretty much made as stated only I increased the sugar to 1-1/4 cups, fresh orange juice is a must for this! Thanks hon...Kitten:)