Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
a unusual but yummy shortbread!!!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups pastry flour, unbleached
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almonds or 1⁄2 cup pecans (chopped or ground)
- 3 -5 pecan halves or 3 -5 walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- With a food processor or by hand, cream the butter with the tahini.
- Add the salt and brown sugar.
- Blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle in the flour, blending well.
- Mix in the chopped nuts.
- The dough will be very stiff.
- Lightly butter two 7-inch pie plates or shallow baking pans.
- Press the dough to evenly cover the bottom and sides of the pie plates to a thickness of no more than 1/4 inch.
- Press a few whole nuts into the surface to decorate.
- Bake the shortbread for 15 minutes and then check it frequently, every couple of minutes, and remove it from the oven as soon as the edges are golden brown.
- Be careful not to overbake it.
- While it's still warm, cut each shortbread into 8 or 10 wedges in the pan; don't wait until it's cool or it will crumble.