With only two ingredients required, this is an inexpensive although messy recipe to prepare. Many tahini recipes call for roasting the sesame seeds in the oven, which for me is an accident (burnt seeds) just waiting to happen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4-2 cups brown sesame seeds, dry roasted (I recommend and prefer brown sesame seeds-read *NOTE)
- 1/2-2/3 cup oil, bland (DO NOT use a flavored oil of any kind)
- 1*NOTE: For best results and to save money buy sesame seeds at a natural food store in bulk bins or at Asian markets where sesame seeds are sold in larger packages. This is a much less expensive way to purchase the seeds than buying sesame seeds sold in small spice bottle sizes. Also, keep sesame seeds in tightly covered container if not preparing tahini soon as they can go rancid quickly.
- 2In clean, dry, large skilllet on low-medium to medium heat lightly toast the sesame seeds. Stir constantly being sure that seeds do not burn. Remove skillet and turn down heat if sesame seeds start to smoke. Toast for about 6-8 minutes then set seeds aside to cool completely. You'll know the seeds are done when they have a subtle fragrance.
- 3Set seeds aside to cool slightly.
- 4In blender fitted with steel blade or in a food processor, blend cooled seeds in two or three batches adding approximately 2 tablespoons of oil for each batch. Cover blender or processor and blend sesame seeds and oil. If appliance labors, add more oil, a little bit at a time.
- 5The tahini should have the consistency of thick nut butter and will be very oily. There will be some whole sesame seeds that wil not blend, which is okay.
- 6Scrap down sides of appliance frequently so that seeds blend well. Continue in same way for each batch of sesame seeds.
- 7Transfer tahini to airtight container and refrigerate up to three months.
- 8Yield is estimated.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tahini Made Easy
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.3
- Calories from Fat 654
- Total Fat 72.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
brown sesame seeds