Recipe by Ang11002
Found this online on a miami newspaper column... Have some tahini & orange blossom water so want to put this here for safekeeping!
Top Review by rosslare
I was really noughty and errrr.... not just added half a cup, but actually doubled the sugar after tasting the batter. It is sweet now, not overly though, and that's the way we love it. I also doubled the orange blossom water. Very unique recipe.
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup tahini
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (a pinch)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 9-by-13 inch cake pan with melted butter and chill in the refrigerator until required.
- Beat tahini, sugar and orange zest 10 minutes, then gradually beat in the orange juice and orange-blossom water.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, soda and allspice. Sift again and fold into the tahini mixture. Stir in the walnuts and raisins.
- Dust the chilled cake pan with flour and turn batter into the pan. Spread evenly and knock base of pan on a counter to settle.
- Bake about 45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Invert cake pan onto a cooling rack and leave for 2 to 3 minutes before lifting pan from cake. Cool and cut into squares.