Meredith C-ville's Note:
This makes a beautiful dark pink to red dish with some contrasting green (steamed broccoli florets would be nice tossed on top for more effect). I've made this with fettuccine, but find that it's easier to get a more uniform mix of pasta and sauce using chunkier shapes like bow tie. It is best with fresh beets but actually works ok with canned (chopped into matchsticks). I've posted the recipe as published in Bon Appetit (April 2004) but I am noting my changes along the way. Gloves are a good idea for handling the beets (and take precautions if you have a countertop that stains easily). The recipe is supposed to make 4 main-course servings, but we (2 of us) usually get one dinner and a lunch out of it; maybe we just eat a lot!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I use about 6)
- 3 cups beets (packed, coarsely grated peeled uncooked, about 3 large)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 ounces tagliatelle pasta noodles (or pasta shape of choice) or 12 ounces fettuccine pasta (or pasta shape of choice)
- 8 ounces sour cream (fat free is ok)
- 6 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1Melt butter with oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat (I've substituted just cooking spray + a splash of olive oil and it is fine). Add garlic and stir until pale golden, about one minute.
- 2Add beets and cayenne; reduce heat to medium low and saute just until beets are tender, about 12 minutes.
- 3Stir in lemon juice (I also add some pepper at this point).
- 4Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite.
- 5Drain pasta and return to pot. Stir in sour cream and 4 tbsp parsley, then add beet mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with additional parsley on top (I also serve with some shredded parmesan).
- 6Note: if you use a large enough skillet for the beets, you can just add the sour cream/parsley to the beets, then put the cooked pasta into the pan with your beets, and you'll only have one dish with a technicolor mess.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tagliatelle With Shredded Beets, Sour Cream, and Parsley
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1208.7
- Calories from Fat 473
- Total Fat 52.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 343.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 155.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 24.2 g
- Protein 32.9 g