- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 8 large vine-ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb tagliatelle pasta noodles or 1 lb fettuccine
- 1 1⁄4 cups parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the garlic and onion to the vinegar in a glass or pottery bowl (metal taints the flavor) and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta as directed on the box until al dente.
- Add the tomatoes and basil to the vinegar and let stand while pasta cooks to blend flavors (about 10 minutes).
- Drain pasta and toss right away with the tomato mixture.
- Toss with the cheese and serve at once.