1/1 Photo of Tagine of Monkfish
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 50 mins
LEG's Mom & Dad's Note:
Monkfish marinated in Chermoula, a lemony garlic and cilantro paste. A very Moroccan flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs monkfish, cut into chunks
- 15 -20 small new potatoes, scrubbed and peeled
- 4 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 -7 garlic cloves
- 15 -20 cherry tomatoes
- 2 green bell peppers, broiled until black, skinned, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1 cup kalamata olive
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 loaf crusty bread (optional)
- 1Pound 2 garlic cloves and salt into a smooth paste with a mortar and pestle. Add the cumin, paprika, juice from the lemon, and chopped cilantro and mix until slightly emulsified. This is the chermoula.
- 2Reserve a little of the chermoula for cooking and rub the rest of it over the monkfish. Cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for 1 hour.
- 3Par-boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes and then cut them in-half. Thinly slice the remaining garlic cloves. Heat 3-4 tbsp of the olive oil in a heavy pan and stir in the garlic. When the garlic just begins to color, add the tomatoes and cook until just softened.
- 4Add the peppers to the tomatoes and garlic, together with the remaining chermoula, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Spread the potatoes over the base of a shallow pan or deep, ridged frying pan. Spoon 3/4 of the tomato and pepper mixture over and place the marinated fish chunks on top with the chermoula you reserved in step #2.
- 6Spoon the rest of the tomato and pepper mixture over the fish and add the olives. Drizzle a little extra olive oil over the dish and pour in the water.
- 7Heat until simmering. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through.
- 8Serve with fresh, warm, crusty bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tagine of Monkfish
Serving Size: 1 (1347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 861.3
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 820.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 122.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 47.8 g