Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
One of my favourite conbinations-meat and fruit. You can use dates instead of prunes, and pears instead of quinces.
- 1 kg lamb shoulder, cut in 2 cm cubes
- 2 large onions, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mildly hot paprika
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 500 g quinces, peeled,halved and cored
- 60 g butter
- 1 cup pitted prune
- Place the lamb, and one of the onions in a heavy based pan.
- Season to taste with pepper and paprika, and cover with water.
- Add the coriander, saffron, and ginger and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until the lamb is tender.
- Cut the quinces into roughly the same size as the meat, and cook them and the second onion in the butter until they are lightly golden.
- Halfway through the cooking time for the lamb, add the cooked onions, quinces and prunes.
- Serve when the lamb is tender,.