1/3 Photos of Tagine of Chicken, Preserved Lemon, & Olives
1 hr 20 mins
Iv'e been craving this since going to DC to meet others from zaar.We went to a place called the taste of Morocco. I found this recipe on line. Serve chicken, covered with sauce, over Couscous or Rice. Have Green Tea with Mint with or after the meal. This Tagine -- the word, also spelled Tajine, refers both to the cooking pot as well as a stew cooked in it -- is one of dozens of classic tagines prepared in Northern Africa, especially Morocco. The tagine consists of two parts: a round pot (traditionally clay), and a conical cover with a small hole which allows some steam to escape. A large dutch oven or something similar can also be used. Check out "the right place for Tagines": www.tagines.com.http://www.congocookbook.com/c0096.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil, for pan-frying chicken and mixing marinade (or any oil)
- 1 -2 chicken, cut into serving sized pieces (or similar amount of chicken breasts)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 cinnamon sticks or 3 -5 pinches ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander (optional)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 cup green olives
- 2 preserved lemons, cut into slices (see recipe I have posted)
- salt, to taste
- 1Mix the garlic, some black pepper, and a spoonful of oil.
- 2Rub the chicken with the mixture and set aside for a few hours or overnight.
- 3Heat the oil in a large dutch oven (or tagine cooking pot, if you have one).
- 4Fry the chicken until all sides begin to brown.
- 5Add spices.
- 6(The black pepper, ginger, and saffron are most typical. If you have no saffron, consider one or two of the optional spices, which can be added according to you liking.) Add onions.
- 7Stir-fry over high heat for a few minutes.
- 8Add chicken broth, stock, or water.
- 9Bring to broil.
- 10Reduce heat.
- 11Cover, but leave a crack for steam to escape.
- 12Simmer over low heat for thirty minutes or more.
- 13Add olives and preserved lemons.
- 14Add salt and adjust seasoning.
- 15Continue to simmer.
- 16Remove chicken and set aside.
- 17If necessary, bring sauce to boil, stirring continuously, until thickened.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tagine of Chicken, Preserved Lemon, & Olives
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 168.5
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 42.5 mg
- Sodium 489.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: