Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
Also called Nane Lavash.
Make and share this Taftoon - Persian Wholemeal Flat Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- oil (for handling dough)
- Sift the flours into a large mixing bowl.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water; add 1 1/2 cups of the remaining water and the salt.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the center of the flour and gradually work in.
- Beat with your hands for 20-30 minutes, or use the dough hook on an electric mixer and beat for 20 minutes, gradually adding in as much of the remaining 3/4 cup water as the dough will take (as the dough is beaten it will be able to take a little more water).
- Preheat oven to high (around 450 degrees F or more), and place a griddle on the center shelf to preheat for 10-15 minutes; when hot, lightly oil with a small cloth dipped in oil.
- Turn the dough out onto an oiled board (no need to proof the dough); oil your hands and divide the dough into 6 parts, rolling each piece into a ball.
- Roll out each ball as thinly as possible with an oiled rolling pin and prick all over with a fork or pinwheel, in 3-4 vertical lines across the surface.
- Take the round of dough and stretch it a little across the backs of your hands, and place dough on the smooth side of a cushion or pad.
- Pull the rack out where the heated griddle is on, and turn the cushion over and press down onto it.
- Close the oven and cook 1 minute, then pat down dough to prevent bread from puffing up.
- Bake until surface is bubbly (about 3 minutes), then turn bread over and cook 2 minutes more.
- Remove bread from oven and wrap in a towel.
- Allow oven temperature to reheat before starting another.
- Do not allow rolled dough to rest before baking; prepare just before putting in oven.
excellent recipe, for oven cooking try this: place an unglazed ceramic floor tile size 18."18" on the oven rack as you preheat the oven . lay your falt taftoon or pita bread directly on it for 5 or 6 min @ 450`F.( up to 4 bread at the time).bread cooks evenly and peels of with no truble .
I have never made this bread but I was looking for a persian bread recipe, I happen to stumble upon a recipe in a book call Tess Mallos the Complete Middle East cookbook first published in 1993 on page 302 and the above recipe is word for word. If you want more middle eastern recipes for bread or good food you should purchase this book is a great book with real authentic middle eastern cuisine.
Simple and delicious. I used about half whole wheat, half white flour. I buttered each piece as it came out of the oven before wrapping them in the towel. Served it with Ground Lamb and Lentil Chili. Thanks for posting!