Taffy apples so much like the ones you can get at Kennywood amusement park !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper; spray lightly with cooking spray.
- 2Insert a wooden skewer into the stem end of each apple.
- 3Combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan.
- 4Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- 5Bring to a boil-- boil without stirring for 3 minutes.
- 6Brush down any crystals on the side of the pan with a pastry brush dipped in hot water.
- 7Boil until the syrup reaches 290 degrees (soft-crack stage, see note) and the syrup just begins to discolor.
- 8Remove the cinnamon stick.
- 9Immediately place the saucepan into a larger pot filled with hot (not boiling) water to the syrup from hardening.
- 10Add food coloring (we used about 7 drops).
- 11Working quickly, dip apples into syrup.
- 12Coat the apples evenly with the glaze.
- 13Twirl the apple at the end so the extra syrup drips off.
- 14Set the apples on prepared cookie sheet.
- 15Wait until the apples dry and cool completely before wrapping.
- 16Note: Soft crack stage is achieved when firm strands can be stretched or bent when removed from the water.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taffy Apples (like the ones made at Kennywood amusement park Pit
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 134.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 106.5 g
- Protein 0.3 g