Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
Oooeey, gooey--kids love it. Prep time includes minimal time for chilling dressing.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 beaten egg
- 6 -7 cups apples, cored and cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved
- 1 cup peanuts (I prefer dry roasted)
- Drain pineapple and reserve juice.
- In a large bowl, stir together pineapple chunks and marshmallows; cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- For dressing, in a small saucepan stir together sugar, flour, reserved pineapple juice, vinegar and egg.
- Cook and stir over medium heat, just until mixture bubbles.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl.
- Cover and chill.
- To serve, combine chilled dressing, apples, Cool Whip, cherries, peanuts and marshmallow mixture.
Sharlene~W, I made this last nite and it is gone less than 24 hours later! Great recipe, tasted just like the real thing! I did leave the cherries out though cause I was looking for "authentic" but just the same, superb! TY
My DH usually doesn't care for "fluffy salads" especially ones with pineapple in them. However, when he had this at a church supper he told me to make sure to get the recipe. The recipe the lady at church gave me is slightly different from this one but she had gotten it from an elderly lady and she questioned if the amounts were right. I have a feeling your recipe is probably more accurate (hers doesn't contain cherries). Glad to see it posted here!