Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This salad really tries to take itself seriously, but fails, miserably! This is a fun salad to eat, kids adore it, as do childish adults!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained (save the juice)
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 5 medium-size golden delicious apples, peeled,cored and diced
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped (optional)
- In a small, heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, egg and pineapple juice.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, fold chilled lemon-egg mixture into whipped topping until blended.
- In a large bowl, combine pineapple, apples, marshmallows and peanuts.
- Stir in topping mixture.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours before serving.
I am rating this five stars not because of my opinion, but because of the way that it went at a holiday party with kids. They didn't leave it alone. It was the only empty container at the buffet. I think I had two bites...the kids inhaled the rest.
What's not to like in this dish? Marshmallows, apples, pineapples, cool whip, mmmm. It went over very well with the kids and I caught more than one adult coming back for seconds. YUMMY! I skipped peeling the apples and it turned out delicious. Thank you!