Recipe by Munchkin Mama
This is a really great recipe that I found in a Taste of Home cookbook. Plan a little bit ahead because it is really easy to make but does involve some chilling time. The salted peanuts really contrast nicely with the sweet ingredients. Make your salad pretty by adding some extra peanuts and apple slices to the top or layer it in a clear trifle dish. Enjoy!
- 566.99 g can crushed pineapple (drain and reserve juice)
- 946.36 ml mini marshmallows
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml packed brown sugar
- 14.79 ml flour
- 22.18 ml cider vinegar
- 226.79 g carton Cool Whip, thawed
- 709.77-946.36 ml diced apples, unpeeled (about 3 large)
- 473.18 ml salted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- In a large bowl, combine marshmallows and pineapple; cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the egg and sugars. Turn the heat to low andwhisk in the flour, cider vinegar, and pineapple juice.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens and gets a little bit glossy and reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat (at this time I also pass the liquid through a mesh strainer to remove the little egg bits if there are any. Sometimes this happens if you dont whisk it all together well in the previous step). Cool completely and refrigerate.
- Fold the cool whip into the chilled dressing.
- Add the apples and peanuts to the pineapple and marshmallows.
- Fold dressing into fruit mixture and garnish.