1/4 Photos of Taffy Apple Salad
Munchkin Mama's Note:
This is a really great recipe that I found in a Taste of Home cookbook. Plan a little bit ahead because it is really easy to make but does involve some chilling time. The salted peanuts really contrast nicely with the sweet ingredients. Make your salad pretty by adding some extra peanuts and apple slices to the top or layer it in a clear trifle dish. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple (drain and reserve juice)
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) carton Cool Whip, thawed
- 3 -4 cups diced apples, unpeeled (about 3 large)
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- 2In a large bowl, combine marshmallows and pineapple; cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- 3In a small saucepan, whisk the egg and sugars. Turn the heat to low andwhisk in the flour, cider vinegar, and pineapple juice.
- 4Cook and stir until mixture thickens and gets a little bit glossy and reaches 160 degrees.
- 5Remove from heat (at this time I also pass the liquid through a mesh strainer to remove the little egg bits if there are any. Sometimes this happens if you dont whisk it all together well in the previous step). Cool completely and refrigerate.
- 6Fold the cool whip into the chilled dressing.
- 7Add the apples and peanuts to the pineapple and marshmallows.
- 8Fold dressing into fruit mixture and garnish.
Browse Our Top Apple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Taffy Apple Salad
Serving Size: 1 (171 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.7
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.1 mg
- Sodium 400.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 46.0 g
- Protein 12.4 g