Prep 45 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This ice cream tastes like a taffy apple. Granny Smith or other tart apples work best in this flavorful ice cream.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 cups peeled cored, and finely chopped apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- apple, slices (optional)
- caramel ice cream topping (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, milk, and molasses. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Slowly stir 1 cup of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs, then return to hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat just until bubbling; do not boil. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Cover and chill.
- Stir in whipping cream, chopped apple, and vanilla. Freeze in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Ripen ice cream for 4 hours. Garnish with apple slices and caramel topping, if desired. Makes about 2 quarts (16 servings).