Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This pie combines the unbeatable and fabulous flavors of caramel apples and cheesecake. Published in TOH, credit for this creation is given to Leona Rothbauer from Bloomer, Wisconsin
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 21 caramels
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, divided
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shells (9 inches)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips, chopped
- 2 cups whipped topping
- In a large skillet, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Add apples. Cook, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally; drain and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine caramels and cream; cook over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining brown sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice until smooth.
- Stir half of caramel mixture into apples. Pour into pastry shell.
- Combine pecans and chocolate chips; set aside 2 tablespoons for topping.
- Sprinkle remaining pecan mixture over apples.
- Fold remaining caramel mixture into cream cheese mixture. Spread over pecan mixture.
- Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until filling is set.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Combine whipped topping and remaining pumpkin pie spice; spread over pie just before serving.
- Sprinkle with reserved pecan mixture. Refrigerate leftovers.