Recipe by Member #610488
On the recipe that I found in my grandmothers recipe box, it says every restaurant in Vienna serves Tafelspitz.
Top Review by Elmotoo
So simple & so delicious! The sauce is really nice too but I found these proportions a bit off. I used more than 1/2c olive oil (maybe I squeezed my bread crumbs too much?), i wished I had used more chives (used 1/4c as it was) and I used probably 1TB vinegar before I noticed it. I served the whole thing over noodles & everyone loved it! Made for ZWT4!
- 4 lbs beef chuck
- beef bone
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 peppercorns
- bouquet garni
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 leek
- 2 onions
- 2 cups white breadcrumbs, very fine
- 4 hard cooked egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Put beef and bones into a soup pot and add water to cover.
- Add salt, peppercorns and cleaned vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about 3 hours or until beef is tender, but not falling apart.
- Strain the bouillon and season to taste with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Save and serve as first course.
- Slice beef and vegetables and serve with plain horseradish, apple-horseradish sauce or Chive Sauce.
- To make the Chive Sauce, Soak bread crumbs in cold water then squeeze dry.
- Combine bread crumbs and egg yolks in Cuisinart.
- Add olive oil a little at a time.
- Season with salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar.
- Add chives and mix well.