Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
On the recipe that I found in my grandmothers recipe box, it says every restaurant in Vienna serves Tafelspitz.
- Put beef and bones into a soup pot and add water to cover.
- Add salt, peppercorns and cleaned vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about 3 hours or until beef is tender, but not falling apart.
- Strain the bouillon and season to taste with salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Save and serve as first course.
- Slice beef and vegetables and serve with plain horseradish, apple-horseradish sauce or Chive Sauce.
- To make the Chive Sauce, Soak bread crumbs in cold water then squeeze dry.
- Combine bread crumbs and egg yolks in Cuisinart.
- Add olive oil a little at a time.
- Season with salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar.
- Add chives and mix well.
So simple & so delicious! The sauce is really nice too but I found these proportions a bit off. I used more than 1/2c olive oil (maybe I squeezed my bread crumbs too much?), i wished I had used more chives (used 1/4c as it was) and I used probably 1TB vinegar before I noticed it. I served the whole thing over noodles & everyone loved it! Made for ZWT4!