Recipe by Walltop
Last summer our local mexican vegetable market had Peruvian beans and I went looking for authentic recipes to use them. The original recipe did not have garlic but I am one of those cooks that believes there can never be too much garlic or onions.
Top Review by veegkitchen57
delightful. i used this recipe to recreate flavors from my trip to peru. i used canned chickpeas and mashed up about 3/4 of the can. i also used a mexican rice mix instead of the brow rice and added jalopeno. try using veg oil instead of olive so you can increase the heat enough to generate some char. we have made this three times in a week...it's quick and delicious.
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves (or more)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- water, for cooking chick peas and rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover chick peas with water and cook til done. About 1 hour. Add more water if needed.
- Cook rice in 2 1/2 cups water. About 40 minutes.
- When the chick peas and rice are almost done, slice garlic and onions then in a large pan until onions are soft.
- Drain chick peas and stir chick peas and rice into the sauted onions and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.