Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sometimes we forget to write down our everyday, simple recipes. :) I figured I might as well get our family's tacos down. This is a combination of how Mom made them when I grew up and how we fix them these days with husband's and my updated tastes. It's also a Pantry Challenge recipe, made with items I already had at home
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon recaito (optional)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste
- 8 -12 taco-size corn tortillas or 1 package hard taco shell
- butter (if using corn tortillas)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped tomato
- chopped or shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- guacamole or chopped avocado
- salsa or hot sauce or catsup
- Saute the onion in the olive oil over medium-high heat until just soft, then add the garlic and recaito and stir well.
- Add the ground beef, then the ancho and cumin, and cook until meat is well-browned, using a spatula to break up the cooked meat into smaller pieces (some folks call this "hamburger gravel"), about 10 minutes.
- Julie's method of putting together her taco: take a corn tortilla and thinly spread butter on both sides, then fry in a hot skillet for about 15 to 20 seconds per side to soften the tortilla; fill with cooked meat and desired garnishes (for me that's just cheese, meat mixture, and - yes- catsup because that's how I grew up eating them and yes I know it's weird).
- Steingrim's method: fill hard taco shell with cooked meat, all garnishes, and hot sauce so spicy you'd swear it would eat its way through the bottle.
- Note: recaito is a kind of prepared herb mixture containing onion, garlic, peppers, recao leaves, and cilantro; we get it in the jar in the Mexican section of the grocery store.
Good tasting tacos! I wanted to season mine differently than a packaged seasoning, and this was a good mixture! Thanks for posting this recipe.
These are good tacos, and the spicier the hot sauce the better!