Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is the way I prepare tacos when cooking for my meat eating DH and my vegetarian DD. Sometimes this is served with taco shells and sometimes with flour tortillas.
Top Review by Starrynews
Yum, delicious! I used crispy tacos, refried beans, and put out lettuce, Recipe #362382, light sour cream and a Mexican cheese blend. It was fun to pass the toppings around and do build-your-own too. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
- 1 lb lean ground beef (omit if serving vegetarians only)
- 1 (30 g) package taco seasoning mix, plus 1 cup water (omit if serving vegetarians only.)
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans (vegetarian)
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups head lettuce, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium red onion, cut into slivers (optional)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat sour cream (optional)
- 15 -20 taco shells, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef in skillet and drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning mix and 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While beef mixture is simmering, combine 1/4 cup of salsa into the refried beans (may skip this step if you prefer).
- Heat beans in small saucepan.
- Arrange beef, beans and remaining ingredients in serving dishes and platters.
- Allow diners to assemble tacos as desired.