Recipe by Kim D.
I make these tacos when I'm craving something different. The Sweet and Sour sauce to top the tacos is a great change from the ordinary!
Top Review by PanNan
I chose this recipe for "Pick A Chef" because I love to try new flavors - it's an adventure. Living in Texas I've had a lot of tacos, but never anything like this. I really liked the unusual combination of spices and seasonings for the taco meat. The addition of the Sweet and Sour Dressing was very unusual. At first I tasted only the sweet (and I wasn't sure if that worked), but after a few more bites, the sour also came through. DH thought I'd put French Dressing on the tacos. It was pretty good and we ate them all. For our particular tastes, though, I'll make this taco recipe again, but make a sour cream/salsa dressing instead. Thanks for sharing this unique recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce (or other hot pepper sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 -8 taco shells
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
SWEET AND SOUR DRESSING
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or other hot pepper sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- For tacos, brown ground beef and onions in a skillet; drain.
- Return beef and onions to skillet and add next 12 ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until moisture evaporates, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for sweet and sour sauce and mix until well blended.
- Heat taco shells in oven.
- Fill taco shells with meat and top with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and sweet and sour sauce.