Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great fish dish that even my fish hater of a husband likes. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
Make and share this Tacos De Pescado (Baja Style Fish Taco) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb fish fillet, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- oil, necessary (for frying)
- corn tortillas or flour tortilla, warmed to soften
For the garnish
- shredded cabbage, lightly dressed with
- your favorite coleslaw dressing
- raw onion rings, marinated in
- vinegar, with
- 1 pinch oregano
sauces such as
- thin tomato-free guacamole
- salsa, such as red, green
- pico de gallo
- Pat the fish filet strips dry with paper towels.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper, vegetable oil and egg yolks to form a batter.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, and fold into the mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil with a depth of no more than 1 inch.
- Dip each fish strip in the batter, fry quickly on one side, turning to fry the other until golden brown. This should only take a couple of minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange pieces of fish in softened tortillas and serve at once, accompanied by the shredded cabbage, marinated onions, guacamole sauce, and a selection of salsas.
These were very good! The flavor profile is incredible! Gotta hand it to those marinated oninions! I used a combination of red wine and balsamic vinegars. I also used a boxed beer batter for the tilapia to save time.
I made these with Cod and also added beer to the batter. I think the marinaded onions really added a great kick. I wish I would have had a few more. I'll know for next time. I also mixed a little sour cream with taco seasoning for a little extra moisture since I had no salsa or guac. My husband is already asking for these again. Thanks for the recipe!