Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a unique, refreshing taco. Unlike the usual heavy Mexican taco, this is a fresh, crisp, clean, tasting taco. It uses fried FLOUR TORTILLAS. Try it once and you will want them often.
- 10 flour tortillas (fajita size)
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco (all-vegetable shortening)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- salt and pepper
- garlic salt (or powder)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes (diced)
- Fry ground beef in a frying pan, season with salt, pepper and garlic salt (or powder).
- Chop lettuce and tomatoes; shred cheese.
- Melt shortening in frying pan, fry tortillas one at a time, folding in half like a taco shell.
- When golden brown and crispy, drain upside down, on paper towels.
- Fill tortillas with a few tablespoons of meat.
- Top with lettuce, tomato and cheese.
- Use *KETCHUP* (try it!) or second choice, taco sauce.
- We eat these alone, or with refried beans either in the taco-- or on the side.