Recipe by Jennifer K.
(authentic recipe from Karen Cruz) The chili peppers used in this recipe are Guajillo or New Mexico peppers, dried, roasted, and then soaked. You can find them in a large bag at Walmart for about $5. This pork is extremely flavorful.
- 6 -8 dried chilies, see note for details
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 3 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 can pineapple, juice of
- 2 -3 ounces white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- 3 lbs boneless pork ribs (country style)
- 20 corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 of bundle cilantro, finely chopped to put on tacos (optional)
- 3 -6 limes, for tacos
- 1 (15 ounce) can pineapple, sliced rings
Directions See How It's Made
- First, make the marinade using the following instructions.
- Rinse peppers under running water. Roast the whole peppers on a warm (not too hot) skillet until warm and dark in color. Do not burn. They burn easily.
- Soak roasted peppers in hot water (just enough to cover them) for about 20-30 minutes, until soft and rehydrated.
- Combine all marinade ingredients (including the soaking water from the peppers) in a blender. The original recipe does not require removing the tops of the peppers or the seeds; blend them whole into the marinade since the meat will soak and then the marinade will not be used beyond that. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Next, prepare the pork:
- Cut pork ribs into thin strips and remove excess fat. This cut of meat can be tough. If you want to or have to keep the meat whole, that is fine.
- Place the cut meat and marinade into a large bowl. Marinate overnight or for several hours.
- Grill or fry the marinated pork ribs on an electric griddle or pan. Allow any marinade that clings to the meat to come with it: it will add flavor. Once meat is cooked, either cut it into small chunks or leave as thin strips.
- Grill pineapple rings in the same pan as the pork: the marinade that pooled in the pan under the pork will lend flavor to the pineapple.
- Soak corn tortillas in the grease solution from the grilled pork. If there was no grease solution from the pork, add vegetable oil to the pan and heat. Run corn tortillas through this and keep them warm until serving.
- Assemble the tacos: take one tortilla, pile high with meat, place 1/2 ring of pineapple on top, squeeze lime juice over the top, and top with chopped cilantro.