Recipe by kellib626
My mom used to make this for us growing up--my dad wasn't a big fan of Mexican food and wouldn't touch anything remotely spicy. This has a very mild flavor--though I like to kick it up with some pepperjack cheese and salsa on top. You can also use tortilla chips on the bottom if you have them on hand.I often substitute minced onion to taste if I don't have fresh onion on hand.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 taco shells
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
Directions See How It's Made
- In 10 inch skillet, cook ground beef and onions until beef is browned and onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce, kidney beans, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Break each taco shell in half at fold. Arrange taco shells on bottom and around sides of lightly greased 9x13 baking dish. Spoon meat mixture evenly over taco shells, sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until hot. Top with lettuce, tomatoes.