Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's a mini taco! Spiced ground beef & cheese enclosed in a crunchy shell. Use whatever combination of meat & cheese you like. This is what I had on hand. Filling to wrapper ratio is not approximate. If you have extra of either just freeze for later use. Prep time includes refrigeration.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa
- green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend
- wonton wrapper
- oil (for frying)
- Brown ground beef & drain.
- Add taco seasoning & salsa. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat & let cool. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (mixture is easier to work with after being refrigerated). Not necessary, but works for me.
- Add shredded cheese & green onion. Mix well.
- Lay out six wrappers at a time & keep the rest under a damp paper towel to prevent from drying out.
- Fill each wrapper with about a tablespoon of filling (don't overstuff).
- Dampen the edges of wrapper with water or egg wash. Fold over forming a triangle.
- Push out any air and pinch edges to properly seal.
- These may be frozen at this point. Lay on a tray in a single layer. Freeze. Then transfer to a freezer bag. When ready fry from frozen.
- Heat oil in deep fryer or can shallow fry in skillet until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately with extra salsa & sour cream for dipping.
Made a bunch of these for my DBF's 50th B-day last month. People are still talking about them! I used the square wonton wrappers and ended up with over 130 of these little goodies. I had planned on having some left to freeze, but they were gone very quickly!
These were delicious! I followed the recipe as given except for adding a chopped tomato and 1/2 C black beans. The next time I make these, I'll make them egg roll-shaped, as I don't have the patience (nor the skill) to fold these won-tons into triangles!! Thanks!