Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
A variation on Texas toast and cheesy bread. If you have a favorite taco seasoning recipe, try it in the topping mix. I made it one night from stuff I had around, to go with a Mexican-flavored Hamburger Helper (my boyfriend insists on bread with H.H., and I was happy to oblige).
- 1 loaf Texas toast thick bread
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 35.43 g taco seasoning mix (like Taco Bell)
- 236.59-473.18 ml shredded cheddar cheese (to personal preference) or 236.59-473.18 ml colby-monterey jack cheese (to personal preference)
- *Note* Individual yields will vary, depending on the amount of butter you brush on each bread slice.
- Pre heat oven 350.
- Melt butter and stir in seasoning mix (you don't have to use the whole packet if it's too much spice for ya). Brush on both sides of bread.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, and bake 5 minutes. Flip toasts and cheese 'em up. Bake another 3 minutes, or until cheese is as melted or crunchy on top as you like.
- Let cool a minute or two before serving. Serve with Mexican flavored Hamburger Helper (there are a few different flavors), with a Tex-Mex dish of your choosing, or as a snack dipped in salsa.
Yum! This was very good! I used the entire packet of taco seasoning, but near the end, the butter/seasoning mixture started getting kind of thick, so I melted an extra tablespoon of butter and stirred it in. I got 10 slices out of the recipe, and we all loved it! Great flavor! Thanks!
Autumn PAC 2006 recipe: This was different than I was expecting! I made a batch of it and my middle daughter looked at me like I was a nut for putting taco seasoning on bread....THEN the picky thing ate a bite, then another and another...She had 3 pieces before I got dinner on the table. Kids LOVED it...DH liked and I would probably use the recipe again. THANKS Christy....I've had fun adopting you for PAC 2006!